Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 1:08 PM by Captain Frances Shipilov. Frances noted that a quorum was present so official business could be conducted.
Approval of General Meeting Minutes from September 13, 2011: The Meeting Minutes from the last General Meeting were reviewed. Frances moved to approve by unanimous consent. All Ayes.
BOARD & COMMITTEE REPORTS:
1) WGANC AMBASSADOR REPORT – Jan McCleery
Jan provided an update from the WGANC Regional Meeting about what WGANC is and does and about what the Ambassador program is (to communicate between the clubs to answer questions that are raised, e.g. who allows Caddies, questions about cash prizes). A summary of the survey responses is then distributed to all of the Ambassadors.
Of particular interest was the recent question about Cash Prizes and the WGANC direction to clubs to follow the USGA Rules regarding cash prizes. Jan said to let her know if questions come up that we want to know how other clubs do things. Also let her know if you want to be on the email distribution for Ambassador surveys. The WGANC is working on a website with past questions/answers and Jan will also post information to our website.
2) TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE REPORT – Dana Wardstrom
• Change this year: Dana reported that one change this year is the pro shop won’t print cards until the morning of play (to avoid re-dos).
• Play Day Cancellation Requirement: Dana also requested that if cancelling, ladies please (1) call the Pro Shop or (2) email Dana AT LEAST BY 8 AM. Today 30 ladies signed up. At 8 AM 17 remained but only 5 had shown up by 8:15 so the play day was cancelled.
• Playing from the White Tees: On April 10th, the women will be given the option to play from the white tees or gold.
• Sonja Welin raised an issue with the number of guest balls being awarded on the last Guest Day versus the dollars collected. Frances requested Sonja get with Dana to go through the question off-line.
3) TEAM PLAY REPORT – Becky Frazier/Bonnie Ladd/Annette Krey
Bonnie – Central Valley:
• CV is starting sign-ups for Elkhorn on 4/17. Bonnie requested women sign up to play or can list their names as “On Call”.
• The courses we play are more equivalent to playing from our White Tees so Bonnie recommends the women try the white tees sometime to practice.
• Team shirts are expected 3/15/2012
• The sign-up sheet for Team Play will be posted downstairs on the bulletin board.
Annette – Diablo:
• Diablo requires an index of 22 or lower to play. Annette knows who now is at that level and sign-up sheets are used. But if you drop to that level and want to play, email Annette to let her know.
• April 24th Discovery Bay Hosts Diablo League. Annette will be seeking help that day (both ladies and husbands).
4) COMMITTEE REPORTS
Invitational – Patty Uyeno & Annette Krey
Frances announced that we now have our Invitational Chairpersons: Patty and Annette volunteered (or were “volunteered” 🙂
Annette reported the current status:
• The plan is for the Invitational to be way lower key: Toning down the raffle; no theme, minimal decorations. Teams can wear matching shirts if they want. Tee prizes will be cute golf towels.
• Cost (entry fees) should be similar as last year but will include the team buy-out (looking at 30 ladies
• Pay $3.50 to have snacks on the turn
• Find out if it’s possible to still have boiled eggs (or even better – just have them available in the Snack Shack)
• Find out if it’s possible to provide cookies and brownies at lunch
All but 2 Ayes / Annette and Susan Leeper were opposed (they like the buffets)
9) WGANC REGIONAL MEETING – Frances Shipilov
• Frances reported from the WGANC Regional Meeting that there are a lot of New USGA Rules this year.
• WGANC will be holding a Rules Seminar – April 11 @ Oakdale CC
o Hilary is the Coordinator
o Mainly rules on the putting green and bunkers – 18 scenarios
o (Not a lot on the new rules)
o Seminar fee is $20 / for an additional $62.50 can play a round of golf including cart fee. (The $20 cash is paid at the Seminar)
o Bringing husbands Is OK
o Deadline is April 3rd to sign up – let Hilary know if you want to go
Frances is posting information about upcoming WGANC Tournaments on the downstairs bulletin Board (but may need to move it upstairs if the downstairs gets too crowded).
10) BY-LAWS REVIEW COMMITTEE – Frances Shipilov
• Roberts Rules says that Bylaws should be reviewed regularly. Our Bylaws needs some cleanup – for example, the information about WGANC Ambassadors versus Delegates is not accurate.
• Frances asked for volunteers to be on Bylaws committee to review the Bylaws and Standing/Tournament Rules to present for a vote at the September meeting. Two volunteers:
o Cam Donald
o Mira B
• Other volunteers will be requested from any unable to attend today’s meeting.
11) “RALLY 4 A CURE” V.S. SUSAN G KOMEN TOURNAMENT – Becky Frazier
• Becky has found out that “Rally 4 the Cure” is a marketing arm only and when we pay two checks, one to Rally, one to “Susan G. Komen”, only the Susan G. Komen checks are used for breast cancer; the $25 Rally checks go for marketing.
• Instead, we can buy our own giveaways and give all money raised to Susan G. Komen for breast cancer.
• Frances reported that she received a letter from Canyon Oaks that they have their own “Pink Ribbon Open” which donates directly to “The Gap Fund”
• Jan raised that other causes should be considered
• Donna Reich expressed her concern that we thought we were collecting monies for charity which has not been going to charity.
The general consensus was that we should move away from “Rally for the Cure”. Becky will talk to the 9 holers about it since they are hosting the event this year.
12) OTHER NEW BUSINESS
Joanne Smith announced that Thursday is the DB Advisory Board Meeting and asked for any inputs:
• Susan L said that there used to be a drop zone on Hole 17 and if that could be added back. Hilary reported that it was an illegal drop zone so had to be removed.
• Annette suggested it would be great if we could change one of our par 4’s to a par 5 to be rated par 72 (doing whatever is required to get a re-rating).
13) ADJOURN – There being no other new business, Cam moved to Adjourn; Becky 2nd. The motion to adjourn was unanimously approved, no “Nays”. The meeting was adjourned at 2:40 PM.
Minutes taken by
filling in for Gay Wald, Secretary